If you are frustrated with delays in getting your tax refund and the inability to get a straight answer from the IRS, then take some small solace that you are not alone.
In fact per the Taxpayer Advocate Services’s Annual Report to Congress this IRS’s Failure to Answer the Right Tax Law Questions is the #1 problem identified.
The natural conclusion is that this harms taxpayers and undermines their confidence in the IRS. Here are other issues raised when dealing with the IRS (which you may be facing yourself!)
- Difficulty Navigating the IRS and reaching the right personnel to resolve tax issues (see some tips here)
- Holding IRS Employees Accountable
- The IRS’s Fraud Detection Systems Are Marred by High False Positive Rates, Long Processing Times, and Unwieldy Processes which Continue to Plague the IRS and Harm Legitimate Taxpayers by delaying their tax processing and refunds
- Measures taken by the IRS to Reduce Improper Earned Income Tax credit payments are not sufficiently proactive and unnecessarily burden taxpayers
- Math error notices from the IRS around tax payer filings continue to be unclear and confusing, thereby increasing Taxpayer burdens
- The IRS does not proactively use internal data to identify Taxpayers at risk of economic hardship throughout the collection process
Source – TAS