If You Need to Ask About Your Refund or Make Change To Your Return

Within 48 hours of submitting your electronic tax return, the IRS will notify your Electronic Return Originator (ERO) – which could be your accountant, tax preparer or tax software company – of its acceptance.

In the event that your return is rejected, the IRS will inform your ERO of the reasons for the rejection. The will generally happen within 24 hours of filing.

If it has been over 3 weeks since your return was accepted and you have yet to receive your refund, you can check your refund status by visiting “Where’s My Refund?” (WMR) at the IRS website (irs.gov).

However, if you are claiming the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), allow 4 to 6 weeks more for processing of your return. You will be notified of any changes made to your return.

For automated tax refund information, you can call the IRS Teletax line at 1-800-829-4477. Follow the prompts. You must have the first social security number listed on your return, your filing status, and the exact amount of your anticipated refund per your filed return.

The IRS automated tax refund line will provide you with the date your refund will be mailed or deposited. If you had selected direct deposit, you should receive your refund within one week of this date. Otherwise, you should receive your refund check (via mail) within 30 days of the estimated date provided.

If you do not receive your refund by this time or if the IRS Teletax system does not provide your refund information, call the IRS Refund Hotline at 1-800-829-1954 to speak to a live agent.

If you owe overdue taxes or past liabilities, the IRS can legally use your actual refund to cover the outstanding amount.

Additionally, the Fiscal Service can use the IRS Treasury Offset Program (TOP) to offset refunds and cover non-tax debts such as past due child support, federal agency debts like student loans, and state income tax obligations.

If part or all of your refund is applied to non-tax debts, the Fiscal Service will send you an offset notice. If you have any questions regarding the offset, you can contact the agency specified in the notice. For further inquiries, you can call the Treasury Offset Program Call Center at 1-800-304-3107.

If you need to make any necessary changes or corrections to your e-filed tax return, you must submit a Form 1040X, also known as the Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

For recent tax years this can be done electronically. Otherwise you will need to send the paper return to the IRS Submission Processing Center that handles paper returns for your region. You can find the appropriate address by visiting www.irs.gov, or by calling the IRS toll-free at 1-800-829-1040.

Subscribe via email or follow us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube to get the latest news and updates

4 thoughts on “If You Need to Ask About Your Refund or Make Change To Your Return”

  1. Just send us our refunds 2023 already. All these new employees don’t know what the heck they’re doing. 60 freaking days to process a damn refund.

    • My X wife got the money back from are tYeah I let my ex-wife get my money I didn’t get nothing out of it and I didn’t even allowed to talk to her what are you doing that sound like it just eat it right I guess you didn’t write in a note

    • How do you go about getting your money back when your ex-wife got the check and didn’t tell you I had everything changed and you didn’t know nothing about it and she signed your name to it even after you were divorced

  2. I find this hilarious that my amendment for 2020 took 1 Year and 7 months to be refunded to me, yet, my $1.00 Refund for 2022 took IRS 1 Week to refund me from the time I e-filed through H&R Block software.
    Which goes to show you, it can be done a lot quicker electronically. Yet they mandate that if you did a paper return in the past that the amendment also be paper. Doesn’t make sense. Why not accept all amendments as electronic regardless if done on paper or not.
    I don’t understand this agency. They need to update their technology and procedures.


Leave a Comment